Since 1998, Jason has had an active litigation practice covering a myriad of areas, including professional and medical liability, insurance defense, commercial litigation and complex products liability matters. Jason has served as counsel for physicians, hospitals and medical clinics in medical negligence matters. Jason has been able to transcend his litigation practice to the sports arena, where, as a certified player agent with the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA), he has a working knowledge of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the MLBPA and the 30 member Clubs of Major League Baseball.
Jason provides counsel to players and player agents on all aspects of baseball salary arbitration, including advising on player salaries, negotiations with the Clubs, and representing players in salary arbitration hearings. Jason represented a Major League Baseball player in a salary arbitration hearing against the Tampa Bay Rays in 2016. The three-member arbitration panel awarded the player his requested salary, giving the Tampa Bay Rays its first defeat in such hearings.
Recent experience includes:
- Successful verdict for money damages for an Arkansas food manufacturer in complex products liability litigation
- Success in declaring a Cuban national professional baseball player a free agent, allowing the player to negotiate with all 30 member MLB Clubs
- Representation of player agent in a fee grievance against former MLB All-Star before an independent arbitration tribunal within the jurisdiction of the MLBPA
- Successful representation of a foreign, Minor League affiliate in a grievance against a member club of MLB
- Counsel to athlete subject to MLB’s amateur draft, ensuring player’s collegiate eligibility while advising of draft process and specifics of draft “slot” bonus structure