Megan D. Hargraves
Megan Hargraves is a health care lawyer who provides clients with strategic counsel on health care regulatory, compliance and legislative matters along with public policy and implementation issues. She advises hospitals and other health care clients on issues related to risk management, quality assurance and regulatory and operational compliance. She advises and represents clients on matters related to the Arkansas Peer Review Fairness Act, the Healthcare Quality Improvement Act (HCQIA), Arkansas Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), the False Claims Act, the Stark Act and anti-kickback statutes and other state and federal statutes. Megan's experience as a litigator representing clients in medical malpractice, products liability, class action and general insurance defense cases makes her a trusted advisor to health care industry clients. Megan continues to represent clients across industries in defense of complex consumer class actions, specializing in cases brought under the Arkansas Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Advises health care industry clients on day-to-day regulatory, operational compliance and risk management issues.
- Represents hospitals on matters related to credentialing and the peer review process.
- Advises health care industry clients on the federal anti-kickback statute, the federal physician “Stark” Law and the False Claims Act, providing counsel on regulatory compliance.
- Counsels health care industry groups on legislation, compliance and litigation matters.
- Conducts regulatory reviews and internal investigations related to reportable incidents.
- Assists clients with responses to investigations by health care regulators including the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, the Office of the Medicaid Inspector General and the state attorney general.
- Counsels clients on Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) confidentiality issues, Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) and patient care questions.
- Represents clients in complex consumer class actions and other commercial litigation matters.
- Served as a law clerk for the Honorable Robert L. Brown and the Honorable Ronald Sheffield, Associate Justices of the Arkansas Supreme Court.
- The Best Lawyers in America©: Health Care Law (2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America©: Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action - Defendants (2021)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers Rising Star: Health Care (2019)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers Rising Star: Personal Injury Medical Malpractice Defense (2014-2018)
- Graduate, International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Trial Academy (2017)
- Participant, Women’s Foundation of Arkansas, Emerging Leaders Program (2009)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Vice-Chair, Health Law Committee
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- UA Little Rock, William H. Bowen School of Law Alumni Board
- American, Arkansas, and Pulaski County Bar Associations
- Arkansas Association of Women Lawyers
- Associate, William Overton Inn of Court
- General Counsel, Mitchell Williams
- Chair, Mitchell Williams Recruiting and Retention Committee
- St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
News & Articles
- Common Procedural and Jurisdictional Pitfalls to Avoid in Practicing Before the Arkansas Supreme Court, 33 UALR L. Rev. 119 (2011).